Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 11 September 1984

A SHOP-REPRESENTATIVE SPEAKS


Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave).


Dear Friends :

A SHOP-REPRESENTATIVE SPEAKS

In one of my recent letters, I requested you to write to me your views on,
“What will motivate L&T Employees ?”
(to co-operate for survival)

I reproduce below a letter received from a shop-Representative. He has requested me not to publish his name. That only goes to show that we have a long way to go before we trust each other enough to be able to speak frankly and without fear.
And why should there be any fear? Ofcourse if I hurt others (even their feelings) I have reason to fear that they will hurt me. But I can be nice and polite and gentle and still disagree with others. As employee of L & T. we all have our views on how the organization should be managed. And our views may differ. But can we not express our differences without being nasty and feeling bitter ? After all the company is not the private property of an individual or a group of individuals.
On the other hand 40,000 add share-holders, 12,000 add employee and 10,000 add suppliers have COMMON INTEREST in the survival and growth of the company. And no one –absolutely no one-can be allowed to hurt the company, no matter what are his views or grievances.
And in the matter of improving inter-personal relations, I agree with most of (but not all) what you have to say, Mr. Shop-Representative. May I request you to take the leady and start the revolution by setting a personal example to others?
I hear many voices in the distance. Please come forward, indentify yourself and speak-up-whatever your views-politely, constructively.


H.C. PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment