Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Friday 16 January 1987

EXPERIENCES IN EVOLVING A PARTICIPATIVE WORK-CULTURE

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave). 

16 Jan 1987

To: 

Production Managers     
Asstt. Production Managers     
Plant Engineering/Maintenance Managers     
Quality Control Managers     
Material/Purchase Managers     

Design/R&D Managers


SUB : EXPERIENCES IN  EVOLVING A PARTICIPATIVE WORK-CULTURE

In  your  own way,  I  am  sure  each one  of  you  have  been experimenting in  your department, to evolve  a participative style of working.  Over  the years, you must have accumulated some  experience  in  this  regard.   You  may have   success-stories (or failure-stories too  !) to tell.

I would  earnestly request  you to  send me  these stories  by 30th  of  this   month.   Wherever  possible,  give   specific examples  - with supporting  data if available.   If you  have made any slides, please send these  too.
Reason ?

After  our  recent  employee-shibirs  at  Lonavala,  Corporate Management  felt that  this message should  spread  throughout the L&T Organisation.  So they have asked me  to visit

-  Delhi                  -  Madras
Kansbahal           -  Bangalore

during  the   next  two  months  and   tell  the  Managers   & Supervisors there,  what we are  trying at  Powai and what  is our experience.

I do hope  you will make a serious  attempt to write-down  the WORK culture  of  your  supervisors and  unionised work-force even if it  seems to you so NATURAL  I  Let us spread  this to get a new SYNERGY in L&T.

Regards,

H.C.  PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment