Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 24 January 1983

INFORMATION-SHARING

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave).

24 Jan 1983

To:

Dear friends

INFORMATION-SHARING

We neither  have a structured  forum nor a  systematic effort to share information with our employees.  Well, not quite:
We have,  over the  years, tried  to share  information about events through the pages of:
L&T Newsletter Powai Pageant etc.
Productivity-committee   meetings   (both   Powai-level   and Unit-level) have been an  useful forum during the  last 3-1/2 years for sharing some information about:
productivity
production-targets
costs
Demand
Shop-loading
Methods-changes
Raw-material problems
Absenteeism
Employee-attitudes etc. etc.
But this is not a comprehensive list of subjects.
And all over Powai,  there are thousands of employees  who do not get to participate in these meetings.
And  honestly-speaking, I  myself do  not have  a  clear idea about:
"What is it that employees would like to know?"
If  I did, I  could write a  book with  a title  (lifted from where-you know. ):
"All that you always wanted to know about ... but never dared to ask."
Perhaps not  all that  employees want  to know  - but may  be almost-all!
But  by the  time, I   figure it  all out,  I may  be due  to retire, so I decided not to wait.


So  this is  the  first of  a series  of bulletins,  I  have decided to  release for your  information.  In turn,  you may wish to share this information with  your colleagues.  Please feel free, there is nothing confidential about the data.
You may turn around and ask:
"Then  why   not  send  the   bulletin  to   all  the employees?" 
I asked myself:

"Shall  I send  this bulletin to  all the  employees, just because  the contents 
are not confidential  and just  because  it  costs  so  little  to   print  and
distribute?"
And the answer was, "No".'
I do  not know whether all  employees are interested  in this information.  No point sending it  to those who will throw it in the garbage-can, perhaps, even without reading.
On  the other  hand, if  You feel  that  groups of  employees working  under you  may be  interested  in this  information, phone Mr. D'cunha  (Ext: 598) for an over-head  projector and the  slides.  He  can even  assist you  in making  a  "Slide-presentation" and in answering questions.
In this first bulletin, I enclose some charts regarding:        
"Skill-wise population-mix Trends".
The charts are fairly self-explanatory.
Almost  across   the  groups,   the  percentage  of   US/SSB/ population is  decreasing and the percentage  of ssa/sb/sa/hs population is increasing, over the last 4 years.
Many questions come to my mind:
1.  Will this trend continue?   If yes, at what  rate?  What   will be the percentages after, say 4 years?
2.  Is this trend  disturbing?  Are we getting  "top-heavy"?    Do we need so many people (%) in the SB/SA/HS category?
3.  For each manufacturing group:     

-  the "products" dictate the manufacturing processes     
-  the "processes" dictate the "skills"     
-  the "skills" dictate the "range" in each "trade".

4.   If new  products, added by  us over the  years, required      us  to  use,   more 
      or  less  the   same  manufacturing      processes    (machinery,   equipment,  
      methods,  tooling,      layout,  material  handling  etc.),    then  the  logical     
      conclusions would be that:

·     the types of "skills" and
·     the "mix" of skills
required  by us,  should also  remain more  or  less the same.
What has, then caused, these ratios to be disturbed?

5.   In  the  years  to  come  what  would  our  "people-mix"      (skill-mix) look
  
       


I am  sure some  of you  have questions  not listed  above (I hope some of you' also have answers'.).
Whatever,  write  it  down  and  handover  to  the  concerned manager from your area, who is  connected with the "charter -of-demand" negotiations.
And  if you  have any  suggestions on  "information-sharing", send me a small note.
With regards.

H.C. PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment