Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Friday 14 December 1984

LETTER TO SHOP REPRESENTATIVE

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave).


14 Dec 1984

To:
Shop Representatives :

I am glad that you attended the meeting yesterday. It gave me an opportunity to know your problems and also tell you the problems faced by the managers.

As far as discontinuing the practice of releasing Heavy-Shop workmen 5 minutes before the end of the second-shift, I have explained to you:

1.  This concession is no more required in light of changed shift timing and bus timing.

2.  It was on the strength of this argument that the Union had accepted the Management stand and reached a "collectively bargained" settlement in April.

As far as production/ productivity is concerned, I have pointed out to you my own personal experience on the shop-floor of Heavy-Shop a few months ago during shift change time that almost all the machines were completely stopped for nearly 20 minutes'. This is despite the fact that we have provided an over-lap of 10 minutes to enable the second-shift worker to take-over from the first-shift man to ensure that the machine does not/need not stop even for One minute!

By remaining silent you have admitted that this is what is actually happening;

But is it enough to remain silent?

As Shop-representatives, as leaders of workers, you have a personal responsibility to ensure that not a single machine stops for a single minute wherever an operator over-lap is provided.

And as "Worker-Leaders" you are supposed to set an example by your own personal behaviour! How else can you make others listen to you? I hope you will take the "Lead" in this matter. Remember others are watching you and waiting to "copy" your behaviour! Whatever you do, others will follow.

As far as productivity - suggestions are concerned, please make out a list of concrete/specific suggestions, give it to your production- manager and send me a copy.


Regards,

H.C. PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment