Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 26 May 1981

PRODUCTIVITY

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave). 

26 May 1981

To:
Members of the Corporate Management (individually)           

             PRODUCTIVITY


I enclose herewith a copy of the minutes of the last Powai Level Productivity Committee Meeting.

The first Powai Level Productivity Committee meeting was held on. 24th August .1979 - almost 21 months ago. A total of 10 such meetings have been held so far, averaging one meeting every two months.   The frequency of the apex meeting (Powai level) was once every month when the productivity drive was launched.  The frequency now is once in 2/3 months.

As reported in my last OCM Presentation (February 16, 1981), the communication between the managers and the Union has by now acquired a good measure of openness and trust.  There are still many differences of  opinions  - but  these  are stated explicity.  There is also an appreciation of the fact that there may not be immediate solution to all the problems.   The  attitudes  on   either  side  are  gradually shifting  from one of  'adversary' to that  of cooperation in finding a solution.

I enclose herewith a copy of  a recent article on 'Industrial Relations in  USA'.  I consider  the contents of  the article as being very  relevant to the present state  of evolution in industrial relations that we  ourselves are passing thro' and therefore,  I 'have arranged  to  distribute  copies of  this article to  all .shop supervisors and  managers in  Powai.  I suggest  we   set  aside  one  entire  day   to  discuss  the experiments/theories mentioned in this article.   We may even attempt to chart our future 'IR' strategy.

In the meantime,  I would like to draw your attention  to the serious concern expressed by the members  of the Productivity Committee (in the minutes enclosed) with  regard to the under loading  of  various  shops  and  its  effect   on  the  shop productivity.

H.C. PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment