Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Thursday 31 July 1986

THE NEW ALPHABET

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave). 

31 July 1986

To:
Dear Friends                        

THE NEW ALPHABET


In  department  2305  (Press  Shop  on  the  ground  floor  of Switchgear East), Mr. Dilip  Shinde and his  85 co-workers are learning a new alphabet.

It goes A, B, C .........  

Except that, here :   

A =   ALWAYS  
B =   BETTER .
C =   CO-OPERATION.  

Who is teaching them this new alphabet ?

May be Mr.  R.S. Nehra - the Shop  Manager - who, himself, may have learnt this new alphabet from the film,

"People & Productivity: We learn from the Japanese".

Or may be  Dilip learnt it when he  visited MARUTI car factory alongwith me, a couple of years ago.

It  is  not  important  who  learnt  it  and  when.   What  is important is  that they  are practising  it I   Following note from Mr. Nehra is the proof :

"   Dear Mr. Parekh,
Press  Shop -  Powai East,  Dept.  2305 have  achieved higher  labour productivity  of  87%  which is  higher than budget of 86.25% fixed in 1984 agreement. It is consistently higher in the last 3 weeks. This is for your information.

R.S. Nehra

(20.7.86)
Congratulations, Dilip
Congratulations, Nehra


and convey my congratulations to all your colleagues.

You are  showing the way  to the  rest of us  in Powai  - like Tanaji  Malusare  showed  to  his  soldiers  while  conquering Sinh-gadh !

"Where one man  can go, a hundred  can go and where  a hundred can go, a thousand can follow".

Even when  you build a  building, you  first build the  ground floor and then the first floor and then the second floor.

So, I  am not surprised that in the  Switchgear-East factory, the ground-floor is FIRST.

But then the first floor can become  second .' - and a group of 13 workmen from the .second floor can become the "lucky" third if they too practice the new alphabet.   Last week, I met them and asked them to go beyond A, B, C, and learn D, E.

D   =   Double
E   =   Effort

In the meantime, I am waiting for some more letters.


H.C. PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment